Add To Favorites In PHR

U.S. Army Wounded Warrior Program Frequently Asked Questions

By: U.S. Army

What is the Army Wounded Warrior Program (AW2) and whom do you serve?

The Army Wounded Warrior Program (AW2) serves the most severely wounded, injured or ill Soldiers and their Families and helps them with their transition back into civilian or military life. AW2 has AW2 Advocates located at all major military treatment facilities (MTFs) and VA Medical Centers (VAMCs) who provide on the ground support to wounded, injured, or ill Soldiers with disability ratings of 30% or more. AW2 serves Soldiers and their Families for however long they are needed.

Who is eligible for the AW2 program?

To be considered an AW2 Soldier, a Soldier must:

•    Suffer from injuries or illnesses incurred after 10 September 2001, in support of the Global War on Terror (GWOT)
•    Receive or be expected to receive a 30% rating for one or more injuries rated by the Physical Disability Evaluation System in categories such as:
o    Loss of Vision/Blindness
o    Loss of Limb
o    Spinal Cord Injury/Paralysis
o    Permanent Disfigurement
o    Severe Burns
o    Traumatic Brain Injury
o    Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
o    Fatal/Incurable Disease

For more information, please contact us at 1-800-237-1336

How long are AW2 services/benefits available to Soldiers and their Families?

The Army has made a commitment to taking care of severely wounded Soldiers and their Families. AW2 will be there for Soldiers and their families for as long it takes, regardless of their location or military status.

How does AW2 connect with the Soldiers and their Families who may be eligible for the program?

AW2 Advocates first connect with Soldiers very early on after they are wounded, usually when they are being transported to medical care or back home.

AW2 stays with wounded Soldiers during treatment, rehabilitation, and their transition back into the Army or to civilian life. And when needs arise farther down the road, the Army Wounded Warrior Program is still there for them – with AW2 Advocates and call center representatives providing personal assistance every step of the way.

How do your coordinators [AW2 Advocates] assist Soldiers and their Families?

AW2 Advocates are located throughout the country at major military treatment facilities (MTFs) and VA Medical Centers (VAMCs) providing on the ground support to Soldiers and their Families from the time they arrive. They help with everything from aligning Soldiers and Families with resources in the Army and the community to assistance with military benefits. In addition, they also provide career and education guidance and support with any other issues that may surface.

How is AW2 different from Warrior Transition Units (WTU’s) and Soldier Family Assistance Centers (SFAC’s)?

Former Medical Hold and Medical Holdover companies were organized into Warrior Transition Units (WTUs). The WTUs are under the command and control of the medical treatment facility commander where they are located. Their mission is to focus solely on the care, treatment, and compassionate disposition of its Soldiers.

Soldier and Family Assistance Centers (SFACs) are located in a campus like setting near the Warrior in Transition Units (WTUs) at 33 installations. SFACs provide a full range of support services to Warriors in Transition (WTs) and their Families or non-medical companions. These include military/personnel benefits, information and referral, financial counseling, employment support, substance abuse information and referral for Family members, education counseling, child care, legal services, pastoral care and other services, and travel voucher settlements for Family members. At large installations, TSGLI, the VA and AW2 are co-located in the SFAC.

AW2 staff are co-located with SFAC staff at installations serving the most severely injured and provide extra assistance in navigating SFAC and other services.

AW2 serves the most severely wounded, injured and ill Soldiers and their Families. We are not constrained by geographic barriers or physical locations. We provide a continuum of care and service for severely wounded Soldiers from the time of injury, through recovery and rehabilitation, to medical retirement or return to military duty or transition to the civilian community. AW2 is there for Soldiers and their Families for as long it takes.

Who are Federal Recovery Care Coordinators?

This is a concept being discussed at DoD Senior Oversight Committee level. A Federal Recovery Care Coordinator would act as a single facilitator to ensure each service member receives the right care and support at the right time and right place.

What if I am a wounded Soldier and do not meet AW2 eligibility requirements?

There are several government and non-profit organizations who assist wounded Soldiers and their Families. The Warrior Transition Units (WTUs) located at military treatment facilities throughout the U.S. are specifically focused on wounded Soldiers during their time of recovery. After retirement, wounded veterans may obtain benefits and services through the Department of Veterans Affairs and other non-profit groups. For a complete list of organizations, visit:
My Army Benefits:
America Supports You:

Is it possible for wounded, injured or ill Soldiers to continue on Active or Reserve Duty?

Yes. Soldiers who have experienced a severe wound often think their military career is over. This is not true for many of our Soldiers. To date, most wounded, injured or ill Soldiers who have requested to continue in the Army have been able to do so.

AW2 Advocates assist wounded Soldiers interested in pursuing the Continuation on Active Duty (COAD)/ Continuation on Active Reserve (COAR) process every step of the way.

To be eligible, a Soldier must meet at least one of the following:

•    Has served 15-20 years of service for COAD or 15-20 qualifying years of service for non-regular retirement for COAR;
•    Is qualified in a critical skill or shortage MOS;
•    Has a disability as a result of combat or terrorism.

For additional information on eligibility requirements, please contact us at 1-800-237-1336.

What can I do to help Wounded Warriors?

Several organizations need volunteers both inside and outside the Army.

Contact your local Family Readiness Group (FRG) or Army Community Services (ACS) to see how you can help. Go to for a complete list of FRGs.

Contact a nonprofit organization serving wounded warriors and their families.

My company wants to employ a Wounded Warrior. How can we do this?
Companies have the opportunity to support those who sacrificed for our country by hiring Soldiers severely wounded in the Global War on Terror (GWOT).

Thousands of U.S. Army Soldiers have been severely wounded, injured or ill in Operations Iraqi and Enduring Freedom. An important element in rebuilding their lives is gained through meaningf

Driving Walking/Biking Public Transit  Get Directions